No doubt London has many great luxury hotels. During my recent stay in my favorite European city I have discovered a real gem in a great location, just next to London`s entertainment district - the One Aldwych Hotel. Wellbeing at its finest and of the city`s few Independent hotels! It is housed in a historical building that dates back to 1907, reflecting Edwardian grandeur and Parisian elegance. And you have all the theatres of Covent Garden right at your doorstep! - "All our guests are VIPs", says PR Manager Howard Rombough. And you can feel this once you have entered this very chic but yet not overly exclusive hotel. Restrained elegance without being snobbish. No black tie required if you want to sip a cocktail in the very popular lobby bar - right my taste! And by the way, the Sunday Telegraph named it as one of the top five hotel bars in the world. I am particularly impressed by the floral art in this cool place designed by Mark Siredzuk, the in-house florist (a real artist...). Sit back and relax, enjoy your drink (or afternoon tea) and watch people.
Photo: The splendid lobby lounge - look at the floral masterpiece!
Photo: Who would not like to join a truly British afternoon tea?
This place is so quiet. No disturbing carts of room maids (but yet perfectly clean rooms and floors). No noise. The gym is located in a former printing centre - how cool is that? The water of the pool is cleaned by minerals, no chlor. Finally a hotel pool where your eyes don`t hurt if you go for a swim, love it! You watch beautiful clouds while swimming and listen to an underwater music system - how cool is that? And the staircases that lead down to the spa and pool area are simply spectacular. Ah, and prior to your relaxation you can do your little workout, the latest Technogym equipment is waiting for you. - Oh my gosh, I could stay here for weeks!
Photo: This pool would certainly motivate me to swim for a long time!
A perfect home from home, particularly on one of these grey fall or winter days in London. Just enjoy the coziness of your room with understated luxury while watching the bustling city outside. You don`t hear the noise from outside, so a good sleep is guaranteed (triple-glazed Windows that open) . You may choose between six types of elegant rooms. Complimentary WiFi, fresh fruits and flowers delivered every day. I also liked the art in the room. Again - pure wellbeing!
Photo: The cozy 48 sqm studio suite
If you still believe British food is boring, just book a table at "Eneko". The staircase that leads down to this restaurant at the One Aldwych makes you feel like being a celeb. And - the chef Eneko Atxa is from Bilbao, Spain. His three-Michelin-star Azurmendi restaurant in his home city is no. 16 in the world’s Top 50 restaurants. Eneko brings traditional Basque cooking to London, with an all-Spanish wine list (my favorites!!) and Basque-inspired dishes. Even many materials are sources from
craftsmen in the Basque region, wood and stone in particular. I truly love this style - elegant but at the same time cozy and not overdone. In a nutshell - pure wellbeing ;-)!
Photo: Awesome dining experience at "ENEKO"
There is art all over the place. One Aldwych has a private contemporary art and sculpture collection of over 400 pieces. I particularly loved the Beano' dog affectionately called Spencer who says hello at the reception.
Photo: Meet Spencer, the lovely dog in the reception area - KHL
Note: All photos except the last one were kindly provided by the One Aldwych Hotel.
* Located in the heart of London in Covent Garden
* Built in 1907, now protected by English Heritage
* 105 rooms and suites (93 rooms and 12 suites). Six room categories. All rooms have Wilkins iPod docking stations, CD players, flat screen HD televisions, digital on-demand in-room entertainment, DVD players, individually controlled air conditioning, safe, hairdryer, bedside fibre optic reading lights and mist free mirrors in each bathroom, 100% pure and natural bath products from T London, fresh fruit and flowers delivered daily, private direct dial numbers for telephone and facsimile lines, unlimited complimentary WiFi and broadband.
* Lounge at One (fully serviced, guest-only)
* Indigo Restaurant
* "Film and Fizz" - comfortable movie theatre with F&B services
* Lobby Bar
* State-of-the-Art 150 sqm gym
* Three fully equipped treatment rooms offering a comprehensive range of health and beauty treatments
* Going green: One Aldwych has been awarded the Luxury Eco Certification Standard (LECS) in association with The Leading Hotels of the World.
For more information: onealdwych.com
You will find my tips for London here: https://www.khllifestyle.com/blog-entries/london-fe...